Parenting, The Great Surprise!
Well, I became a mom almost 14 years ago (wow, when did I become so old?). Although I love my kids and I love being mom, nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, prepares you for this!
I mean how did I become the finder of all lost things, the fixer of all broken things, the chef, the maid, the clothes washer/dryer/folder, the chauffeur, the teacher, planner, organizer, hostess of many friends, etc., etc., etc.! My favorite moment this month is when my kid wakes me up to tell me that he is awake! Really, he couldn’t be awake by himself…I had to lose out on the bliss of sleep as well?
Thankfully, God gives us incredible love for our children and grace to cover each and every mistake. Watching my boys transition from kids to teens is pretty cool! I mean they can do stuff for themselves (hang in there moms of littles…it does come) and they are pretty cool to be around!
Parenting is hard and definitely not for perfectionists, pleasers, or wimps (yikes, I have a little of all of that in me)! Nothing has grown me up more than growing as a mom with my kids! As I reflect on years past, here is what I would tell my young mom-self (if I could):
- Building the relationship with my kid is way more important than the condition of my house!
- Frequently what frustrates & angers me is simply childish curiosity or accidents, so relax!
- Read Dr. Kevin Leman, he ROCKS!
- There is grace for me when I mess up & grace for my kids too!
- Children learn just as much about life when I mess up and apologize, as they do when I do it all right!
- Rigid expectations for myself and my kids could lay a heavy burden on me than is reasonable.
- Have fun!
- Get sleep!
- Learn to say no!
- Take care of myself so I can care for others, no guilt!
- Have friends & be the village for each other!
- Don’t neglect my relationship with God! He is # 1!
- Don’t neglect my marriage, husband comes before kids!
- Laugh often!
Moms, you’re not alone! We got this! There is always hope!
If you like what you read, please comment below or share on social media. ❤️